STD Treatment Questions and Answers
If you are exhibiting symptoms of an STD or are sexually active and need an STD screening, come to Women’s Healthcare! Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating STDs and can help you recover sooner. For more information schedule an appointment online, or call us, now. We have convenient locations to serve you.
Table of Contents:
Sexual health is essential to enjoying a good quality of life and brings us many of life’s greatest pleasures, including the ability to reproduce. There are many ways one can improve their sexual health, such as proper diet, regular exercise and practicing safe sex. A common problem that negatively impacts sexual health is contracting a sexually transmitted disease, or STD. STDs can cause great discomfort and can even lead to serious complications if left untreated. Many STDs, such as ones caused by bacterial infections (gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis) can be easily cured with a course of antibiotics. Viral STDs, including herpes, HPV and HIV, cannot be cured, only treated. However, certain viral STDs can be prevented with vaccinations, including hepatitis B and HPV.
An STD, or sexually transmitted disease, is an infection passed from one person to another through sexual contact, including skin-to-skin contact, fluid exchange and blood contamination. STDs are serious illnesses that require treatment. Symptoms of an STD can include painful intercourse, painful urination, rashes, and bumps or sores on mouth or genitals. Sometimes there are no symptoms.
STD testing is quick and painless, however it is not typically included in regular medical exams and must be requested during a healthcare visit. The doctor or nurse will help each patient figure out which tests are needed for their situation. Patients will talk about:
– Symptoms they are having
– Whether they have had an STD before
– Whether their partner has had an STD before
– The number of sexual partners
– The kind of sexual contact, including oral, anal, or vaginal sex
– How often protection is used, including condoms
– Other risk factors for contracting STDs, like sharing needles
There is no single test for all STDs; rather, each STD has its own test. STD testing may include:
– A Urine Test – A common type of test that involves peeing into a cup.
– A Cheek Swab – Used to check for HIV and involves rubbing a swab on the inside of the cheek.
– A Blood Test – Can be used to determine many types of STDs, and typically involve a blood draw from the arm.
– A Physical Exam – Usually a visual exam to confirm the presence of warts, sores, rashes, irritation, or discharge.
– Testing Sores and Discharge – If a sore is present, the examining professional will likely take a sample to confirm the diagnosis. They may also use a swab to gently take discharge or cell samples from the penis, vagina, urethra, cervix, anus, or throat.
The time it takes for an STD to show symptoms, known as the incubation period, varies depending on the type of STD and also widely varies from person to person. Some people may never show symptoms (asymptomatic), which can make it hard to determine how long the infection has been present. Symptoms usually appear after 2 to 3 weeks but this could look much different from one person to the next. In general, it can take anywhere from a few days to several months to show symptoms of an STD.
Yes, STDs do need to be treated. If they are not, they can cause long term complications, including permanent damage to the reproductive organs which may result in sterility. Viral STDs cannot be cured, although they can be effectively treated and some types can be prevented with the use of vaccines.
Call one of our clinics today to start improving your women’s health! Residents of Evergreen Park can book an appointment by calling, or by visiting our clinic at 9730 S. Western Ave Suite 700, Evergreen Park, IL 60805. Residents of Mokena can book an appointment by calling, or by visiting our office conveniently located at 10260 W. 191st St. Suite 100, Mokena, IL 60448. To better care for you, both of our clinics are open six days a week. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Evergreen Park IL, Mokena IL, Oak Lawn IL, Chicago Ridge IL, Hickory Hills IL, Bridgeview IL, and Bedford Park
- Prenatal Care (Routine and High risk)
- Ultrasound 3D and 4D
- Nuchal Translucency
- Non-Stress Testing
- Antenatal Testing
- Preparation for Glucose Tolerance Test
- Prenatal Genetic Counseling & Testing
- High Risk Pregnancy Assessment
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Program
- Family Planning
- Endometrial Cryoablation for Heavy Periods
- Colposcopy Information
- Leep Procedure
- Fibroid Myomectomy
- HPV Treatment
- Fibroids Treatment
- Breast and Ovarian Cancer Screening
- Well Woman Care (annual exams)
- Pelvic Pain
- Robotic Assisted Surgery
- MonaLisa Touch
- Menopausal Syndrome
- Gynecologic Surgery
- IUD Insertion and Removal
- Preventative Care
- Urogynecology Treatment