Urogynecology Specialist Questions and Answers

Urogynecologists are feminine specific specialists who treat conditions such as incontinence and pelvic prolapses. If you are looking for a Urogynocoly Specialist then come to Women’s Healthcare. For more information, call us or simply schedule an appointment online. We serve patients from Evergreen Park IL, Mokena IL, Oak Lawn IL, Chicago Ridge IL, Hickory Hills IL, Bridgeview IL and Bedford Park IL.

Urogynecology Specialist Questions and Answers
Urogynecology Specialist Questions and Answers

If you are suffering from bladder issues or any form of incontinence that cannot be addressed by standard means it may be in your best interests to see a Urogynecologist rather than a Urologist or Gynecologist. Urogynecologists are medical specialists in the field of female pelvic medicine and have skills and expertise outside the training of a standard gynecologist or obstetrician and may have the solution you need. The founder of Women’s Healthcare of Illinois, Dr. Kenneth Finkelstein, is a specialist in Urogynecology and regularly treats women who have been experiencing bladder control issues in addition to routine gynecological care.

What does a Urogynecologist treat?

Urogynecologists are feminine specific doctors who most often treat symptoms related to urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapses, and pelvic floor disorders. Many also possess expertise in reconstructive surgery and other treatments to deal with post partum difficulties in the pelvic region.

Urinary Incontinence is an issue that many women will experience at some time in their life and with a expertise in gynecology, obstetrics and urogynecology, Dr. Finkelstein is expertly equipped to tackle any treatment required to deal with any form of bladder discomfort.

Pelvic Organ Prolapse involves pelvic organs such as the bladder pushing against the vaginal wall. This occurs when the organ has shifted from its usual position in the lower belly and frequently occurs as a postpartum symptom due to stretched or weakened muscles from childbirth.

Pelvic Floor Disorders are disorders related to the muscles of the Pelvic Floor where they have been weakened, over stressed or torn. Pelvic Floor Disorders can frequently be the cause of Pelvic Organ Prolapse but can often be treated in a preventive fashion to avoid the more painful prolapse.

When should I see a Urogynecologist?

Most often you will be referred to a Urogynecologist if you have notable symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse or a pelvic floor disorder. Your primary care physician or primary gynecologist may also recommend the expertise of a Urogynecologist if you have incontinence that remains unresponsive to medication or major issues emptying your bowels or bladder. They may also be consulted if surgical expertise or recommendations are required to treat your difficulties.

What is a Urogynecologist doctor?

A Urogynecologist is a medical doctor who specializes in specific issues related to feminine pelvic care. The discipline differs from Urology as it is specifically related to feminine treatment rather than issues that can affect both biological sexes. As well Urologists are not specialized in dealing with Pelvic Floor Disorders, which are an area of focus for Urogynecology. Urogynecologists also possess additional expertise in the fields of Gynecology or Obstetrics. Our own Dr. Kenneth Finkelstein possesses qualifications in all three disciplines allowing for a full scope of care.

Does a gynecologist deal with bladder issues?

Urogynecologists do frequently deal with bladder issues, though the specialty usually handles issues that cannot be corrected by medication and often involve pelvic organ prolapse or pelvic floor disorders. Your primary gynecologist or primary care physician can often deal with most bladder issues and will often refer you to a Urogynecologist should it fall outside of their capabilities.

It is an unfortunate fact that many women suffer through bladder incontinence or the extreme discomfort of undiagnosed pelvic prolapse or pelvic floor disorders for long periods of time out of embarrassment or lack of information. Please do not let yourself live in pain and discomfort and make an appointment with one of our doctors today so we can help you maximize your comfort. At Women’s Healthcare of Illinois, we are experts in women specific medicine and have an expert team of friendly staff ready and willing to help.

Services Offered

Urogynecology Frequently Asked Questions

What is urogynecology?

Urogynecology is a sub-specialty of gynecology. A urogynecologist manages clinical problems associated with dysfunction of the pelvic floor and bladder. Pelvic floor disorders affect the bladder, reproductive organs and bowels. The most common pelvic floor disorder is urinary incontinence. This is described as bladder leaking and urgency or frequency to urinate. Other common pelvic floor disorders are pelvic organ prolapse and fecal incontinence. Dr. Kenneth Finkelstein specializes in urogynecology, and treats these symptoms.

Featured video

Learn about how Dr. Ken Finkelstein, Urogynecology at Advocate Christ Medical Center and South Suburban Hospital treats all patients with respect and compassion.