Annual Well Woman Exams Questions and Answers
If you are looking for a women’s healthcare clinic that provides thorough well woman exams, we would be delighted to have you visit us at Women’s Healthcare of Illinois in Mokena IL and Evergreen Park IL.
Well woman exams are a great way to prevent illness, stay healthy, and improve your overall health and well-being! If you are looking for a women’s healthcare clinic that provides thorough well woman exams, we would be delighted to have you visit us at Women’s Healthcare of Illinois. Our male and female board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists have a wealth of experience and expertise in providing well woman exams with care and professionalism.
What is covered under a well woman visit?
Well woman visits focus on the overall health, well-being, and reproductive wellness of women. With that in mind, there are numerous things that can be covered under a well woman visit! While the exact services and evaluations that will be covered under a particular well woman visit will vary with each individual patient, you can safely expect some or all of the following to be covered when visiting Women’s Healthcare of Illinois for a well woman visit:
- Detailed review of personal and family medical history, as well as lifestyle habits, medications you are currently taking, and any allergies or medical conditions you have
- Comprehensive physical exam, which may include evaluations of the health of your heart, lungs, joints, bones, eyes, ears, mouth, and abdomen, as well as measurements of your height, weight, blood pressure, and heart rate
- Assessment of your reproductive health, including a discussion about the regularity and severity of your menstrual cycles, as well as a Pap test and pelvic exam to test for illnesses or conditions, such as cervical cancer or endometriosis
- If you are over the age of 40, you will likely require a mammogram every one to two years to screen for breast cancer
- Immunizations, if necessary, such as the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine
- If you are sexually active, your obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN) may also discuss birth control options with you, recommend testing for sexually transmitted diseases or infections (STD or STI), and ask if you have any physical challenges with sex
- Various screenings, including for diabetes, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and depression
- Health promotion, education, and advice for improving your overall health, well-being, and reproductive wellness
How should a woman prepare for a well exam?
If you have a well woman visit coming up, preparing for the appointment in advance can help improve the quality of your appointment. As such, some helpful ways to prepare for your well woman exam include knowing what questions your OBGYN is likely to ask and how to answer them. With that in mind, they will likely ask you questions about the following:
- Alcohol, drug, or tobacco use
- Diet and exercise habits
- Family and personal health and medical history
- Menstruation cycles
- Mental health
- Relationships and safety
- Sexual activity
While some discussion topics may make you feel uncomfortable, it is important to know that you will not be forced to answer any question that you do not feel comfortable answering. Moreover, your answers will be kept confidential unless they indicate that you could harm yourself or others.
You may also want to write down any questions for your OBGYN before the appointment so that you do not forget to ask. Moreover, we encourage you to feel free to bring every question and concern you have to your OBGYN during your well woman visit.
How long does the well woman exam take?
If it is your first time having a well woman exam with the OBGYN, the visit will most likely take longer than subsequent appointments. As such, expect your first well woman exam to take at least 30 minutes. Subsequent well woman visits may take between 15 and 30 minutes. We serve patients from Evergreen Park IL, Mokena IL, Oak Lawn IL, Chicago Ridge IL, Hickory Hills IL, Bridgeview IL, and Bedford Park IL.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES YOU MAY LIKE
- Prenatal Care (Routine and High risk)
- Ultrasound 3D and 4D
- Nuchal Translucency
- Non-Stress Testing
- Antenatal Testing
- Preparation for Glucose Tolerance Test
- Prenatal Genetic Counseling & Testing
- High Risk Pregnancy Assessment
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Program
- Family Planning
- Endometrial Cryoablation for Heavy Periods
- Colposcopy Information
- Leep Procedure
- Fibroid Myomectomy
- HPV Treatment
- Fibroids Treatment
- Breast and Ovarian Cancer Screening
- Well Woman Care (annual exams)
- Pelvic Pain
- Robotic Assisted Surgery
- MonaLisa Touch
- Menopausal Syndrome
- Gynecologic Surgery
- IUD Insertion and Removal
- Preventative Care
- Urogynecology Treatment